Saturday, September 22, 2012

V-stitch Headband a favorite free pattern

I've actually made this pattern several times. It's a great headband with lovely texture, quick and easy to make. Love it.



BUT ... several years after I first discovered her lovely V-Stitch Headband pattern Juli Chu unfortunately at some point took down her blog and stopped sharing the pattern. AUGH!!!



I tried to send Juli a message through Ravelry to ask if she'd still be willing to share her pattern but got an error saying she had turned off the messaging system. So that was a dead end.

Then I wrote to Tim of manmadecreationz to ask if he might have saved a copy of Juli's pattern, since he has project pages on Ravelry showing that he had made the headband several times. Unfortunately I didn't hear back from Tim.

I even tried using the Internet Wayback Machine to see if it would recover the pattern page from Juli's blog, but no luck there, either.

It really distressed me to think I'd never be able to make this headband again, so I took it upon myself to reverse engineer Juli's pattern from one of the existing headbands I had made ... because I LOVE this headband, and I just didn't want to leave it behind forever. Out of all the eleventy-bazillion headbands I've made over the years, I only love the Chic Aran Headband just a tiny bit more than this one. So this one is still strongly in second place in my list of favorites, and I just had to find a way to make it again.
 

V-stitch Headband Re-created

5mm hook
Worsted/Aran yarn
V-stitch: In st indicated - DC, ch 1, DC.
 

Row 1: Starting with a long tail below your slipknot (you can use this length to sew the button on later), FHDC 3. Ch 1; turn. (3 HDC)

Row 2: 2 HDC in first st; HDC to end of row. Ch 1; turn. (4 HDC)

Row 3: 2 HDC in first st; HDC to end of row. Ch 1; turn. (5 HDC)

Row 4: 2 HDC in first st; HDC to end of row. Ch 1; turn. (6 HDC)

Row 5: 2 HDC in first st; HDC to end of row. Ch 1; turn. (7 HDC)

Row 6: 2 HDC in first st; HDC to end of row. Ch 1; turn. (8 HDC)

Row 7: 2 HDC in first st; HDC to end of row. Ch 1; turn. (9 HDC)

Row 8: 2 HDC in first st; HDC to end of row. Ch 1; turn. (10 HDC)

Row 9: 2 HDC in first st; HDC to end of row. Ch 2; turn. (11 HDC)

Now we will begin the V-stitch section.

Row 10: DC in first st; [V-stitch in next st; DC in next st]. Repeat [] to last st; DC. Ch 2; turn. (6 DCs and 5 V-stitches)

Row 11: DC in first st; [DC in next ch space from V-stitch in row below; V-stitch in next DC from row below]. Repeat [] until 2 sts remain; DC in last 2 sts. Ch 2; turn. (7 DCs and 4 V-stitches)

Row 12: DC in first st; [V-stitch in next DC from row below; DC in next ch space from V-stitch in row below]. Repeat [] to last st; DC. Ch 2; turn. (6 DCs and 5 V-stitches) 

Repeat rows 11 and 12 until headband length measures about 18 inches, then begin decreases to buttonhole.

I JUST CAN'T GET THE V-STITCH SECTION TO LOOK THE SAME AS JULI DID!!! CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP?!? 😭