Thursday, February 28, 2013

Pennsylvania hat

Inspired by Sheldon's red knitted hat on "The Big Bang Theory" and fashioned after designer Britta Graham's Textured Sherpa Earflap Hat, while on a trip to Pennsylvania, on a whim I bought a skein of Red Heart Cafe Latte yarn and started crocheting a winter hat in a similar shape as Sheldon's.


I wanted the crown to have a lot of texture, so I used a fpdc pattern, then switched to a smoother pattern for the brim and earflaps.

All that's left to do is to add a chunky tassel to the end of each earflap, but my ambition has stalled for the summer, so this hat will hibernate until the weather turns cold again.

I credit Britta's wonderfully written designs with helping me learn to crochet several years ago, and I highly recommend them to everyone! :-)

Here's a look at Sheldon's red hat: