Monday, November 1, 2021

Ribbed crochet messy bun hat with brim

Love the look of this hat - perfect for keeping warm and also stylish, and the brim will be handy on those cold but sunny winter days. It's the Ribbed for Him and Her Messy Bun Optional Hat by Marly Bird.


I deviated from Marly's pattern by working this top down (instead of bottom up), and I also used this YouTube tutorial by "Pleasant Seas" to knit the brim and then added this brim form from tops2toesboutique on Etsy to help the knitted brim hold its shape. It seems like no matter how hard I try I just cannot get the crochet slip-stitch brim technique to work, so for me it's easier to just knit the brim.


I completed all the crochet and knitting for this project in two evenings, but I had to wait a few days for the brim form to arrive in the mail before I could finish off the project.